R1Soft CDPServer Error “Failed backup of LVM configuration”

Backing up your data is essential to anyone using a computer. It doesn’t matter if you’re an IT administrator managing hundreds of servers or a casual user typing up a essay for class. Some of us simply insert a USB stick and copy our files over from time to time. Others rely on more sophisticated solutions to run backups routinely without any manual work needed. One of these solutions is R1Soft, also referred to as CDPServer. But what do we do when these systems don’t work?

A few weeks ago, we ran in to that exact issue. A few weeks ago, one of our cPanel servers pulled down some updates that included an update to LVM. Before I go any further, I want to list our versions for those who may stumble across this from searching. The affected server is running CentOS 7.4.1708 x64, cPanel 66.0.23, and R1Soft 6.4.2-135.

The backups were running just fine. New recovery points were being created, all 4 devices were backing up successfully, I could browse the recovery points, and restore files as needed. The problem was an error being thrown that said “Failed backup of LVM configuration”. I assume this just means I couldn’t do a bare metal restore if I ever needed to.

errors

I made sure I am running the latest version of R1Soft on both the backup server and the agent server. I rebooted both systems. I then did a complete “yum update” on both systems and rebooted again before I finally had to turn to support.

It turns out a recent update to LVM added a new option to /etc/lvm/lvm.conf that was throwing off the backup agent. In my configuration, this was line 679. All I had to do was comment it out, reboot, and I was good to go. It is my understanding that you don’t need this anyway since “r” is the default option.

Here’s the response from support:

Older LVM code does not play well with the very latest LVM2 configs inside RHEL 7.4

####################################################################

If you use the configuration file from lvm2 >= 2.02.171 with any earlier lvm,
all lvm utilities break with the error:

Invalid units specification

This happens because lvm.conf contains a new value: ( Used to default to “h” )

# Default value for –units argument.
units = “r”

The problem is that older version of LVM do not understand this
and fail with this error message:

Invalid units specification

###################################################################

METHOD #1
The lvm.conf gets loaded into memory at initialization time.
Editing the file does not change the behavior. A reboot is required
Commenting or editing that one line and rebooting resolves the issue.

METHOD #2
Replacing our static binary with the new OS version in 7.4
a.) mv /usr/sbin/r1soft/lib/lvm.static /usr/sbin/r1soft/lib/lvm.static.old
b.) ln -s /sbin/lvm /usr/sbin/r1soft/lib/lvm.static

Leave a Reply